There is a lot going on at Seneca Insurance. We are constantly looking for new opportunities and ways to add value to our customers and producers.
- We are a specialty property and casualty insurance company with an
eclectic product mix that reflects our open-minded approach to new opportunities.
Some of our favorite classes of business include:
- Inner-city mercantile
- Vacant properties
- Labor Organizations
- Bail Bonds
- We have the flexibility to write business in two legal entities:
- Seneca Insurance Company - an admitted carrier licensed in all 50 states.
- Seneca Specialty Insurance Company - a non-admitted carrier in 49 states.
- As a wholly owned subsidiary of Crum & Forster and part of the Fairfax Financial Holdings, Inc., Seneca Insurance has the advantages that come with being part of a larger organization.
- Seneca is rated A (Class Size VIII) by A.M. Best Company.
- Our main office is located in downtown New York City and we also have underwriters in:
In 2011, our year end statutory financial highlights include:
- 2011 GWP: $175M
- 2011 Combined Ratio: 91.6%
- 2011 Surplus – $129M
- 2011 net income – $22.7M
We have experienced and thoughtful underwriting and claims teams - which allow us to take a creative approach to providing insurance solutions:
- We prefer lines of business that require underwriting and claims expertise - and that are normally avoided by the main street insurance companies.
- We will consider insuring a wide range of business classes - assuming that we can understand the business, underwrite the risk and handle the claims - and have confidence that we can make an underwriting profit.
- We are flexible with respect to size of account, production source, admitted or non-admitted paper, billing options and the ability to use manuscript terms.
- We are conservative with respect to catastrophe risk. Although we do write catastrophe prone businesses, we carefully monitor and limit our aggregate exposures.
- We believe that we do a more thorough job of underwriting, claims adjusting and loss control than our competitors on the business for which we compete. As a result, we can use more underwriting judgment on difficult accounts to find a way to profitably underwrite them.
Our consistency in underwriting approach - and in our performance - gives our customers and producers long term confidence.
We hope this provides a good description of Seneca Insurance, and certainly welcome future business opportunities. If you are an underwriter or a producer with a business plan - or a good idea - and want to develop it into a business, feel free to contact any of us.
- Marc Wolin - Chief Executive Officer
- (212) 277-1958
- Keith McCarthy - Senior Vice President (Standard Lines)
- (212) 344-3000
- Steve Fomchenko - Senior Vice President (Property & Inland Marine)
- (212) 277-0396